Research & Practice Art Residency Autumn 2019 : Open Call
Application deadline 22 May 2019
We are thrilled to announce the launch of an à-la-carte two-phase residency in partnership with L’AiR Arts in Paris. Set to take place in Noyers sur Serein and Paris, artists in residence will devote between two and four weeks to focused creative practice at La Porte Peinte Centre pour les Arts, to be followed by a move to Paris to join L’AiR Arts for a stimulating two-week research phase. The idea is to facilitate intensive, well-rounded immersion, extending all aspects of one’s art practice: first a dedicated focus on practice and production in unusually inspiring and supportive surroundings, followed by in-depth exploration of the Paris art world, from the storied art sites of the city to encounters with artists, gallerists and other art professionals working in Paris today. Open studios may be held in both Noyers and Paris.
La Porte Peinte’s primary aim is to provide artists in residence with a sanctuary for creative practice. Quiet time and suitable private work-space are seen as fundamental to this aim; inspiring surroundings, serendipitous encounters, and constructive critical support play an important role as well. While most LPP residencies are self-directed, we also offer mentored residencies and are well equipped to work with both emerging and established artists. The Noyers sur Serein phase of this residency will be all about devotion to the creative work, getting it going and letting it flow.
The Paris-based phase of this residency is designed to enable participants to evaluate their individual places as artists and situate their artistic exploration and practice within both the historical and contemporary context of art production and dissemination in Paris. The immersive two-week artist residency phase offers a stimulating experience of intercultural exchange, research and professional development. Artists have an opportunity to build lasting connections with fellow residents and expand their network of Paris-based arts professionals and organisations. See here for further information.
Prospective artists in residence may apply to both phases or just one.
Phase I: Creative Practice
Artists who opt for the Creative Practice phase in Noyers sur Serein may choose between spending two or four weeks at La Porte Peinte before heading to Paris:
- September 8 – October 7 (four weeks) or:
- September 22 – October 7 (two weeks)
The Creative Practice residency includes:
- Accommodation: private bedroom, communal kitchen and dining room, library and garden
- Studio: artists are offered individual studio spaces to suit the needs of their practice. Studios are accessible on a 24-hour basis
- Wifi, cafe, private garden, laundry facility, access to various resources (printer, mic, projector, etc.)
- Artist talks and presentations with group discussion
- A workshop on promotion and communication, with focus on the artist’s statement and other nuts and bolts
- Facilitation to encourage community contact
- Promotion of the residency and artists’ work via La Porte Peinte’s newsletter, website, and social media
Meals, travel, art materials and stipend are not included.
Phase II: Art Research
- October 8 – 22, 2019 (two weeks)
The Art Research Residency includes:
- Accommodationin either a private or shared room (based on your preferences and availability)
- Flexible meal plan: buffet breakfast and either lunch or dinner of traditional french cuisine (with a to-go option)
- Welcoming and closing dinner / reception at a historic restaurant or an artistic venue
- Shared work space and open studio event and/or exhibition
- Access to the Centre’s facilities;including, plenty of common areas, cafe, an outdoor terrace and garden, laundry facility, meeting rooms and internet access (wifi) for personal laptops
- Guided cultural programme (professional visits, meetings and other facilitated group activities co-hosted with our programme partners)
- Portfolio readings and discussion sessions with curators
- Support for artists to encourage integration and intercultural exchange
- Exposure on L’AiR Arts website and social media
- Paris Museum Pass and/or entry ticket to a current major art event/fair
- Book of ten Paris metro tickets
Travel, art materials and per diem are not included.
La Porte Peinte fees are based on choice of bedroom and duration of stay. Studio spaces are allocated on a first-chosen, first-booked basis.
- From 915 to 1300 € (private accommodation, two weeks)
- From 1400 to 1950 € (private accommodation, four weeks)
L’AiR Arts fees include accommodation, meals, creative space and tailored programming over the two-week residency period.
- 1850 € (shared accommodation between 2 – 4 artists)
- 2200 € (private accommodation)
Some financial support is available. For more information, please contact the hosts.
Application and Selection Process
This residency is open to artists, curators and art historians of any age and stage in their career, as we are aiming for a cross-generational mix of professionals working in all visual arts media and disciplines.
Submissions from every country of the world are welcomed, but an intermediate level of English is necessary for the Paris-based phase. In Noyers, French, English, Spanish and Japanese are spoken.
Applications are reviewed by a panel of international and Paris-based arts professionals. The selection process also allows for nominations and invitations.
To apply please complete the online application form.