Art Practice/Research Residency
Application deadline to be announced
We are thrilled to announce the launch of à-la-carte two-phase residencies in partnership with L’AIR Arts in Paris. After a stimulating two weeks in Paris with the L’AIR Arts Drawing Research Residency, artists in residence will devote between two and four weeks to focused artistic practice at La Porte Peinte Centre pour les Arts in the Burgundy countryside. With the aim of interrogating, deepening and extending one’s practice, the two phases are designed to be complementary. First experience an in-depth exploration of the Paris art scene, from the storied art sites of the city to encounters with artists, gallerists and other art professionals working in Paris today. Follow this research phase with a dedicated focus on practice and production in unusually inspiring and supportive surroundings. Open studios may be held in both Noyers and Paris.
See here for further information on our Paris-based partner.
La Porte Peinte provides artists in residence with a sanctuary for creative work, offering well-conceived studio spaces, inspiring surroundings, serendipitous interactions in an art-centric jewel of a medieval village, and constructive critical and practical support. The Noyers sur Serein phase of this residency will be all about devotion to the creative work, getting it going and letting it flow.
Prospective artists in residence may apply to both phases or just one. Although applications are handled separately, please indicate on your application your intention to apply for both phases.
The Drawing Practice Residency at La Porte Peinte includes:
- Accommodation: private or shared bedroom, communal kitchen and dining room, library and garden
- Studio: artists are offered private or shared studio spaces to suit the needs of their practices. Studios are accessible on a 24-hour basis
- Artist talks and presentations with group discussion
- For those who wish it, a workshop on communication, with focus on the artist’s statement: how do you present your art to the world?
- One group drawing workshop experience per week designed to deepen and extend your practice
- Facilitation to encourage community contact
- Promotion of the residency and artists’ work via La Porte Peinte’s newsletter, website, and social media
- Open studio: you will have the opportunity to show/sell your work to the public
The residency fees cover accommodation, studio space, and use of all communal facilities including kitchen, dining room, library, and garden. Travel expenses, art materials, and meal expenses are not included. Our chef in residence offers incredible group meals once or twice a week for a small contribution. La Porte Peinte fees are based on choice of bedroom, while studio spaces are allocated on a first-chosen, first-booked basis. See here for descriptions and photos of bedrooms and studios.
Meals, travel, art materials and stipend are not included.
Some financial support and scholarships are available. For more information, please contact us.
Application and Selection Process
The programme is open to artists and cultural professionals at any stage in their career. Participants will be selected based on the quality of their applications, and their practice’s relevance to current drawing discourse. Submissions from all countries are welcome. French, English, Japanese and Russian are spoken at LPP.
The selection process includes an open call application and panel process, nominations and invitations.
You may apply to just one residency or to both. Please note that it is possible to apply to both and to be accepted at only one.
Application deadline to be announced.