Art Practice/Research Mentored Residency
A mentored residency is guided and facilitated mostly by the director, but with the possibility of bringing in a few guest mentors. Artists in residence will devote between two and four weeks to focused artistic practice at La Porte Peinte Centre pour les Arts in the Burgundy countryside with the aim of interrogating, deepening and extending one’s practice. The mentored residency guarantees 7.5 hours per week of planned one-on-one sessions supplemented by ad hoc meetings. The aim is to employ exercises and prompts to carry out 1) a taking stock of current work, with a view to gaining new perspectives on existing creative direction, 2) an exploration of new directions, which could be technical or aesthetic or conceptual, with the idea of expanding into fresh territory if desired, or simply extending beyond one’s comfort zone and habits, and 3) a refreshing and rebooting of the artist’s voice. It is important that the process be determined by the artist, in terms of what is important to him or her at the time of the residency. In some cases this might mean a big leap, in others it might mean a quiet process of small experiments. An open studio may be held at the culmination of the residency.
La Porte Peinte provides mentored artists in residence with a sanctuary for creative work, offering well-conceived studio spaces, inspiring surroundings, serendipitous interactions in an art-centric jewel of a medieval village, and constructive critical and practical support. This residency will be all about devotion to the creative work, breaking down barriers and old habits, getting it going and letting it flow.
The Mentored Residency at La Porte Peinte includes:
- Accommodation: private or shared bedroom, communal kitchen and dining room, library and garden
- Studio: artists are offered private or shared studio spaces to suit the needs of their practices. Studios are accessible on a 24-hour basis
- Artist talks and presentations with group discussion
- For those who wish it, a workshop on communication, with focus on the artist’s statement: how do you present your art to the world?
- Where desired and relevant, one workshop experience per week designed to deepen and extend your practice
- Facilitation to encourage community contact
- Where applicable, promotion of the residency and artists’ work via La Porte Peinte’s newsletter, website, and social media
- Open studio: you will have the opportunity to show/sell your work to the public
The mentored residency fees are 750€ per week and cover mentoring, accommodation, studio space, and use of all communal facilities including kitchen, dining room, library, and garden. Travel expenses, art materials, and meal expenses are not included. La Porte Peinte fees are based on choice of bedroom, while studio spaces are allocated on a first-chosen, first-booked basis. See here for descriptions and photos of bedrooms and studios.
Meals, travel, art materials and stipend are not included.
Limited financial support and scholarships are available; in recent years these have prioritised individuals displaced by war or disadvantaged by discrimination, geography or politics. For more information on mentored residency fees and on financial support, please contact us.
Application and Selection Process
The programme is open to artists and cultural professionals at any stage in their career. Participants will be selected based on the quality of their applications and their practice’s relevance to current discourse. Submissions from all countries are welcome. French and English are spoken at LPP.
The selection process includes an open call application along with nominations and invitations.